What is your favourite food to eat in the entire world? Tough one, isn’t it, when you’re only allowed to choose one? My portable food of choice is the humble sandwich. You can prepare in advance (I always transport sliced cucumber and tomato and insert into the sandwich just before eating to avoid a sorry soggy bread fiasco), and you can go crazy creative with the fillings.
I bought a book on sandwiches and will take some photos of cool sandwiches that I make, which is the perfect lunch to eat during a quick break and at work.
A beloved lunch-time treat has to have a set of awards dedicated to it… enter The British Sandwich Industry Awards.
Ahead of British Sandwich Week, The Sammies Awards took place to bestow honour and celebrate the humble sandwich. Thursday 10th May saw the Sandwich and Food-to Go Industry come together in the 23rd annual British Sandwich Awards, affectionately known as The Sammies, where the winners of the UK’s best sandwiches and retailers were revealed.
High Street favourite Greggs was recognised as the Best Bakery Chain with Waitrose awarded as the Best In-Store Café in the Chain Sandwich Retailer category. The best new sandwiches were awarded to Waitrose and Around Noon with Around Noon awarded the Overall best new sandwich with their Breakfast Toast. The Sandwich Designer of the Year Award was awarded for the first time ever to a Vegan Sandwich, Make no Bones, made with vegan lamb and feta cheese.
Speaking after the Awards, Host and Sandwich Designer of the Year Head Judge, Michelin starred Theo Randall, said:
At this year’s Sammies we saw some great innovation, wonderful ingredients and some surprisingly new additions. It’s interesting to see the trends of food today being put into the sandwiches. The development of vegan food has come across a lot in this year’s awards and having a gluten free category was a revelation.
British Sandwich Week is a week-long celebration of the iconic sandwich and takes place 20th – 26th May 2018. Retailers, restaurants and sandwich shops across the country have risen to the challenge to celebrate this British institution.
Sandwich Manufacturer Real Wrap will be travelling across the country during British Sandwich Week giving out sandwich samples and conducting a fun survey to map the country’s taste and habits when it comes to sandwich eating. International Hotel Chain Marriott have created the ultimate steak sandwich at their Manhattan Grill West India Quay with #MadhattanSandwich and Yorkshire bakery chain, Thomas The Baker has launched #YorkshireFlatCapSpecial to celebrate the taste of Yorkshire during British Sandwich Week. The list is endless.
There is no doubt that the simple sandwich has become more than just a meal on the run and those two pieces of bread can hold together a delectable feast whether that be a breakfast bacon sandwich or a healthy gluten free vegan wrap.
Here is a list of the 2018 Sammies winners:
- Sandwich Designer of the Year – Kim Hartley, Mission Foods with Make No Bones, Gozleme (vegan) Turkish Toasted Sandwich
- BSA Sandwich Manufacturer Award – Bradgate Bakery
- BSA Technical Award – The MA Food Tray by RAP (Rapid Action Packaging Ltd)
- En Route Sandwich Retailer Award – Greggs, Irlam Drive Thru, Manchester
- Sandwich Multiple Retailer Award – Morrisons
- Sandwich Convenience Retailer Award – The Co-Op
- Workplace and Catering Sandwich Retailer Award – Compass, Foodbuy
- Chain Sandwich Retailer
- Specialist Sandwich Bar – Pret
- Bakery Chain – Greggs
- Café – Caffe Nero
- Café In Store – Waitrose
- Independent Sandwich Retailer Award – Marmalade, Brighton
- The Sandwich Marketing Award – EAT, The Grill Club
- New Sandwich Product
- Ingredient – Norseland, Ilchester Black Cheddar Total Eclipse
- Packaging/Equipment – Adande Regrigeration Ltd, Aircell Grab & Go Cabinet
- FTG Innovation
- Ingredient – Pure, Halloumi & Super Grain
- Packaging /Equipment – Colpac, Zest Range
- New Sandwich Award
- Innovative – Waitrose, Good to Go Jerk Spiced Chicken Roti
- Hot – Around Noon, Breakfast Toast
- Seasonal /Promotional – Waitrose, Good to Go Spiced King Prawn Cocktail Sandwich
- Overall Best New Sandwich Award – Around Noon, Breakfast Toast
- The British Sandwich Industry Award – Pam Sainsbury
- Food to Go Retailer Award – Booths
- Food to Go New Product Development Award – Booths Food to Go Range
If you’re taking pack-up this week, why not get into the spirit of British Sandwich Week and get creative with your sandwich? I’d love to see your creativity in the kitchen!
*Header image courtesy of Medium*